The Kensington Food Barn
PRESERVING OUR PAST AND FOOD TO LAST
There is history in these walls. The mighty structures holding up the innovative Food Barn at Eastman’s Corner is the original framework of the barn that was built there in 1816. Over the years, the property was owned by three different local families, but the longest by far were the Steeves. In 1937 Harry Steeves and his young bride, Gertrude Evans Steeves, moved on to the property and it was on this small farm they raised their three boys, Paul, Kenneth and Lloyd. Gertrude cultivated a huge vegetable garden and also planted beautiful flowers throughout the property. Decades later, the land was divided between the brothers and a second house was built. At that time, the property was no longer functioning as a farm. The older brother, Paul Steeves’ daughter kept her horse in the barn and there were also chickens over the years. The barn was eventually used to house a successful rubbish business. After Gertrude died, the property was sold. The years took their toll and it began to fall into disrepair.
After almost 200 years, the barn looked destined to be torn down and forgotten. Luckily, that was not the case. Kensington residents Alan and Harriet Lewis saw its beauty and the importance of preserving this important piece of Kensington’s history. So rather than take it down – which would have been easier and less expensive – they built the new building around the bones of the old, bringing the barn back to its working days as a way to take pride in our past and teach the next generation about these treasured work horse structures.
Two huge cedar and fir doors welcome you into the main hall of the building. With its cathedral ceiling and natural light, this large room is perfect for farm to table dinners, community events, classes and tastings. To the right of the main hall are two commercial kitchens.