Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 medium-size sweet potato
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ Tsp thyme
- a pinch salt & pepper
- 1 bunch kale
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup of crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the sweet potato and then cut it into small, ¾-inch cubes. Toss the cubes with the olive oil, thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Spread the seasoned sweet potato cubes out on a baking sheet. Roast the sweet potato in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until the sweet potato is just starting to brown on the edges .
- While the potato is roasting, tear the kale leaves from their woody stems. Take a handful of leaves at a time and chop them into thin strips; you can also just tear them with your hands but make sure they are small pieces. Place the kale leaves in a colander and rinse well with water and spin dry.
- Place the washed and well drained kale in a large salad bowl. Add about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the kale and toss to coat. I also sometimes add in red wine vinegar.
- Once the potato is roasted and cooled, add it to the kale leaves. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds, cranberries and goat cheese over top as well. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.