4 chicken sausages
1 pound fresh spinach, cleaned and dried
1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup button mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped (recipe for this follows below)
2 ounces fresh goat cheese
1 small shallot, finely minced
1 tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 teaspoons white wine or white balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground pepper
- Grill the sausages on a medium hot grill until fully cooked (internal temp. 160F). Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Thinly slice on the bias and reserve.
- For the spinach, remove the stem and thick part of the vein and tear into bit sized pieces. If using baby spinach, simply remove the stems.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the shallot, mustard, honey and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small pitcher or mixing bowl. Using a whisk, slowly drizzle a thin stream of olive oil into the bowl, whisking constantly, until the dressing thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the spinach, red onion, mushrooms, hard-boiled egg and vinaigrette. Garnish with the sliced sausage and crumbled goat cheese and serve.
Hard Boiled Eggs
- Prick each egg on the end with a pin, and then place the eggs in a heavy bottomed pot. Fill with water to an inch above the eggs.
- Over medium high heat, heat the water just to the point of simmering. Remove from heat, cover the pot and reserve for 16 minutes.
- After 16 minutes, plunge the eggs in an ice bath to cool. Once cooled, peel and reserve.
Recipe courtesy of Neal Maxymillian, friend of the Farm at Eastman’s Corner