5 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 ½ to 2 pounds chopped mixed mushrooms, including button, cremini, oyster, trumpet, etc.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
3 tablespoons flour
¾ cup whole milk
4 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
¾ cup sour cream
Salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tbsp butter and several drizzles of oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onions and sauté 3 -4 minutes until they begin to soften, without browning.
- Add mushrooms and sweat 3 minutes; add dill and paprika and continue to cook until mushrooms have given off their liquid. Remove from heat.
- In a separate large sauce pan, heat remaining 3 tbsp butter over medium heat until foaming. Add flour and whisk to a uniform paste (roux). Continue to cook and whisk until roux darkens to the color of a chocolate brown/nut brown ale, about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until combined. Simmer until thickened, the slowly add stock and soy sauce.
- Add reserved mushroom mixture and any accumulated juices. Bring to a slow simmer and let thicken, 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or garnished with dill and sour cream.
Courtesy of Neal’s Kitchen