This dish is perfect for a family dinner or entertaining.
1 roasting chicken
- Brine the chicken by mixing equal parts sugar and salt and dissolving in water in a large double plastic bag or large stock pot. To brine solution add several cloves crushed garlic, several stalks fresh rosemary, and a small handful of peppercorns. Brine for 1 -2 hours.
- Set oven to 450F. Remove chicken from brine, rinse and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, smash a few cloves of garlic with coarse sea salt. Add finely chopped fresh rosemary, and smash with back of spoon. Whisk in a few tblsp. olive oil. Add fresh black pepper.
- Using your hand or a spoon, separate the skin from the breast of the chicken and rub several tsp. of the garlic rosemary mixture all around the breast and thighs, under the skin.
- Rub the rest of the garlic rosemary mixture all around the chicken. Place a shallot and a rosemary sprig in the breast cavity.
- Place chicken on roasting rack in roasting pan, and roast, breast side down for 20 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 350F. Put a shallot or two in the pan, with a chopped carrot. Add ½ cup chicken broth. Rotate chicken breast side up and roast until thermometer in thick part of breast registers 160F. Remove from oven and let rest before carving.
Recipe Courtesy of Neal’s Kitchen