In the fall I make this with fresh local sugar pumpkins. If not available, butternut squash makes a perfect alternative.
Roast Pumpkin Salad
3 cups pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 tablespoon butter
3 or 4 fresh sage leaves
1 head radicchio, roughly chopped
3 ounces goat cheese
Salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 375F
- Melt the butter in a heavy ovenproof skillet together with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the sage and wilt for 2 minutes.
- Sauté the pumpkin in the oil/butter/sage over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and roast in the oven about 15 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly, until cooked but not overly soft.
- Remove from the oven, discard the sage, and set pumpkin aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, over medium heat, toss the radicchio with a splash of olive oil until just wilted. Add to the bowl with the pumpkin and toss to combine. Season to taste.
- Serve the pumpkin on a platter or dish topped with crumbled goat cheese and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Courtesy of Neal’s Kitchen